Abu Dhabi Marathon has been postponed until 2021 due to COVID-19 concerns
The COVID-19 pandemic has forced organizers to postpone the 2020 ADNOC Abu Dhabi Marathon until next year.
Thousands of runners had already signed up to compete in the event which was due to take place on December 11.
But with the public’s health and safety remaining the organisers’ "top priority" the competition has been called off for 2020 as the search begins for a new date in 2021.
Aref Hamad Al Awani, secretary general of the Abu Dhabi Sports Council, insisted implementing safety and precautionary measures in every event staged in the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was key.
"With such an overwhelming response, both within the UAE and the region, the Sports Council is looking forward to organizing this popular event on another date during next year," said Al Awani.
"We are deeply committed to implementing the highest safety standards and precautionary measures in all global and community sporting events held in Abu Dhabi.
"This is based on the instructions of the competent Government agencies emphasizing great attention to the safety and health of everyone.
"Under its exceptional efforts in managing the optimal handling of the crisis and with the joint coordination with all concerned parties it led us to postpone the third edition of the ADNOC Abu Dhabi Marathon from December 2020 to 2021, in the context of ensuring the safety of everyone.
"We now look forward to welcoming all participants and unite with the solidarity and support of each other in overcoming these unfavorable times."
Kenyan duo Reuben Kipyego and Vivian Kiplagat came out on top in last year's event.
Race organizers said every runner registered for this year’s postponed event would be able to keep their place for next year with refunds given out to those that are unable to compete in 2021.
posted Tuesday October 13th
by Geoff Berkeley