2021 Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon to go ahead

After Japanese races due to be held in Spring have consistently been cancelled or postponed the Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon, has bucked the trend.

After consultation with all parties involved the organising committee of the 10th anniversary Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon, scheduled for 25 April, will go ahead while taking appropriate precautions against the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.

As one of the measures to allow the race to be safely staged, the field size on race day will be cut to 70% of its usual level, 7,000 runners, to reduce crowd density on the course. The remaining 30%, 3,000 runners, will be given entry to an online half marathon to allow them to participate ‘virtually’.

Priority will be given to people who were entered in the cancelled 2020 edition.

The 3km race will be cancelled in order to further reduce numbers, and all entrants in that division will have their entry fees refunded. The organizing committee thanked all runners for their understanding.

posted Thursday December 10th
by Brett Larner